Sunday, October 30, 2005

A penny for your thoughts: A penny still worth picking up?

The other day I sat down at the light rail station and there was a penny next to my foot. I think it was the first time in my life that I didn't pick up a penny. Then today at In N Out Burger I passed by 2 pennies. Usually I take the time to pick them up, put them in my pocket, and throw them into a penny jar at home. While sitting at the light rail station staring at that first penny I mentioned (a little buzzed on vodka), I realized that I'm not sure the penny is worth picking up anymore. I'd have to pick up over 100 to buy a burger that wouldn't even fill me up. I wonder if the penny will ever become unnecessary and the gov't will stop making it. It'll turn into being a "Nostalgia Item."
If you see a penny, do you pick it up? Think about it, is it worth it anymore?

2 comments:

Kris and Rich said...

I'm a firm believer in the penny-just as a "good luck" reminder to appreciate the little things in life.

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is - I think Bill Gates has this discussion when he sees one-hundred dollar bills on the ground.

"Is it really worth my time to pick it up?"
-Bill